Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Forget the rich South. If you want SUPERFAST BROADBAND come to the Highlands.


We've got a little computer which our guests can use in the cottage. We have a kindly neighbour who lets us use his router. This is the Scottish highlands. I wouldn't dream of asking our neighbours in the South to let us use their router. They'd shuffle around to find excuses to say no. (I might agree to it if asked, but that is because I've been trained in the Highlands)

No probs with connection in our Glencoe cottage. My own BT router in Sussex was down again this morning, of course.

Put your brain in a cold towel for the next bit. My upload speed in this house in the South is less than 1 Mg/second, download is 1.7Mg/sec. I should be getting nearer to 10. Take the towel off now.

Yet the Scottish Highlands are going to get faster broadband, sooner. They are going to put in 400km of
underwater cables, and across 19 routes to the Islands. Contract just signed. Just wait now.

John
ps. Mind you I might be kidding myself. Search as I might I couldn't find a completion date in the story......hmmm

The magnificent community website for Glencoe Scottish castles in the West Highlands New page in our site about driving on snow and ice Masses of information about the area in our Site map This is about Fort William Appin is beautiful Bed and breakfast and hotels from Oban to Fort William Walks around our cottage Autumn short breaks in Glencoe Ben Nevis walking is a slog, but worth it Cottage holidays Scotland in the Autumn, Winter, Spring The highlands of Scotland Find holiday cottages anywhere Gorgeous photographs of Glencoe Hill walks in Glencoe Munroes in Glencoe Port Appin Barcaldine Accommodation in Lochaber Kentallen Ballachulish Onich How to find cottage owners self catering websites

No comments:

 
Lochside cottage near Glencoe in the Highlands of Scotland
  • Short Breaks Glencoe
  • Stories about Appin villages blog